Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014

Glass Animals on a roof terrace two weeks ago in Berlin and this is a long title but that's your problem

Once upon a time, one of my favourite bands played a gig on a roof. It was a sweat-inducing show. Only because the sun shone relentlessly, of course. Everybody else was cool.

Glass Animals are one of those bands I always wanted to see live, but there were always some unexpected obstructions preventing it to happen. Until now. Or then. It’s been two weeks already.
We have this radio station called FluxFM here in Berlin that sometimes organises concerts on the roof terrace of its quarter. When they announced Glass Animals as one of their acts, it was clear to me: I will go there, even if I have to climb up the wall. Fortunately I didn't have to climb. My arms are pretty weak.

So it was a nice summer evening, cool people with sunglasses were chilling and we had a nice view of the city. Oh, and wonderful music as well.
The first song was “Gooey”, probably Glass Animals' best known. Then they played “Pools”, a catchy, tropical song but not as cool as “Walla Walla”. I just realised that “Walla” reminds me of “Walla, isch schör, Digga!” – something that some people say here in Berlin. Back to the song - that percussion! You just have to move and release your inner belly dancer.


The show took 40 minutes and Glass Animals also played some of their old stuff, like “Psylla”. I hope to see/hear them perform “Exxus” one day. I fucking love this song. And the video, though it’s a little special.
Maybe it comes unexpected, but I really enjoyed the show. And in a dark club with some colourful lights and a lot of smoke (from a smoke machine) the atmosphere of the songs would be even more emphasised.

The guys themselves seem to be pretty nice. I even got them to draw something into my idea book. So in case they read this: Thanks for the pictures & keep on making music for at least 20 years! Otherwise…
During the show Dave Bayley (I used to confuse it with “Baileys”) made compliments to the audience, like: “You all look very cool with your sunglasses. We've never played in front of such a cool crowd before.” And no, it wasn’t irony. He also recommended to us to get some ice cream. But I didn't.

Finally, I have some pictures for you. If you want to see some more hipsteresque ones, go to the German article. Enjoy the view!


the band without the drummer


the drummer (Joe) without the band


talking 'bout ice

multitasking Drew: synthesizer, guitar & backing vocals


Ed Singer is not the singer (haha), but multitasking, too


cool shirt (and more multitasking)
that's it

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen